Tuesday, September 10

Get Well Card Call for Feline Mayor

Occassionally you stumble across the strangest things and this was one of those random articles that found a way to me.  The article was about Stubbs, the 15 year feline mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska.  Recently Stubbs the cat mayor (love this title), was mauled by a large local dog and has been in intensive veterinary care since.  He will recover according to the post on the 6th of this month, but was pretty seriously torn up.

According to the article, there has been a lot of controversy about Stubbs being indoor/ outdoor and getting in a scrape like this.  I am surprised at people being so critical at Stubbs has had a nice long life without issue until this recent event.  I personally only have indoor cats, but appreciate the enrichment cats can gain through outdoor treks and will take my oldest and calmest outside with me on occassion. 

I do know a lot about cat care and feline medicine and in rural areas like this its not uncommon to have an indoor/outdoor cat that lives a long and happy life.  After a certain age it becomes incredibly hard to rehabilitate an indoor/ outdoor cat to indoors only and since Mr. Stubbs is in a position were he is required to circulate publicly, I believe his owner could use words of support instead of criticism.

Stubbs's owner has also received critism for the unsolicited donations to help with his medical costs, with any extra going to the local animal shelter.  I have no opinion against it, but the purpose of this post is more to spread goodwill and well wishes for Stubbs.   If you would like to send a get well or well wishing postcard or note to him, send it to

Mayor Stubbs
c/o Nagley's Store
Box 906
Talkeetna, AK 99676

If you want to follow his progress, check out Facebook where Mayor Stubbs maintains a regularly updated fan page! 

When I see something like this, I think "my cats could do that", but they lack drive - lol!

My best to all,
-Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment