Saturday, April 27

Where to Find Pen Friends

First off I want to say this is not an all inclusive list, this is just from my own experiences!  I could not even try to list all the possible ways of finding a pen pal! 
On ocassion though, somebody new finds their way into the wonderful world of mail.  My first advice is to be patient! 

SendSomething:  This is a nice network where you list your interests and make a short profile about yourself.  People can send to whoever on the site.  If you do not stay active, you will be removed from the database.  So far i have found quite a few folks to write here.

Postcrossing: Mostly this site is geared toward the exchange of postcards around the world.  On ocassion, you will see that somebody requests a pen pal.  And on ocassion, you just happen to start a dialogue.  I have 3 pen friends from the site, not a lot in the 2.5 years I have been on.  I could have had more, but I am approaching my max number.    People are always asking me about safety, I do want to say I feel the site is fairly safe. 

SwapBot:  A site that allows people to do exchanges of packages or material.  Mailing is at the core of the site.  I personally am not on their, but I have several pen friends who are.

Referral from a Friend:  No joke!  I have one pen friend from this method.  I mentioned to a friend and she said she had a different friend really into letters, and so it goes.

There is the recent addition of the League of Extraordinary Pen Pals which looks fun, but I again feel as though I have more than my share of good mail coming in these days.

The Missive Maven has a list as well on her blog.

Please feel free to add your ideas below as well too!  The places to find people to write to seems to be growing yearly.

Happy Writing!
-b


 

2 comments:

  1. Letter Writer's Alliance is a good place to find quality folks, as well as Julie's Pen Pal of the Week: http://penpaloftheweek.com/

    As a member of the League of Extraordinary Penpals, I have to say that there are a lot of good people in that league as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couch Surfing if you're into travel (find the penpal groups), and also Julie's blog, she has penpal ads :) You'll find it here: http://penpaloftheweek.com/

    ReplyDelete